DreamHost:List of policies
Revision as of 10:14, 29 November 2006 by Scjessey
- Assume good faith
- Assume that most people who work on this wiki are trying to help it, not hurt it.
- Being rude, insensitive or petty makes people upset and stops the DreamHost Wiki from working well. Try to discourage others from being uncivil, and be careful to avoid offending people unintentionally.
- Editing policy
- Improve articles wherever you can, and don't worry about leaving them imperfect. Avoid deleting information wherever possible.
- No personal attacks
- Do not make personal attacks anywhere in this wiki. Comment on content, not on the contributor. Personal attacks damage the community and deter users. Nobody likes abuse. Report such attacks to an administrator.
- Ownership of articles
- You agreed to allow others to modify your work. So let them.
- Sock puppetry
- Do not use multiple accounts to create the illusion of greater support for an issue, to mislead others, or to circumvent a block; nor ask your friends to create accounts to support you or anyone.
- Three-revert rule
- Do not revert any single page in whole or in part more than three times in 24 hours. (Or else an administrator may block your account). This rule does not apply to administrators.
- Choose a neutral username that you'll be happy with.
- Vandalism is any addition, deletion, or change to content made in a deliberate attempt to compromise the integrity of the DreamHost Wiki. It is, and needs to be, removed from the wiki.
- Spamming will not be tolerated, and will be treated as vandalism.
- Personal Enrichment
- Referral links and promotional codes of any kind, including DreamHost links and promo codes, are prohibited in this wiki. Furthermore, there should be absolutely no self promotion beyond a user's own user page.
- What the DreamHost Wiki is not
- This wiki is intended to offer advice and information about DreamHost services, and how to make best use of them. Please avoid the temptation to use this wiki for other purposes.
Content and Style
- Neutral point of view
- All articles should be written from a neutral point of view.
- Naming conventions
- Keep article names brief, but unambiguous.
- User perspective
- Write articles for the perspective of the user ("Change the directory name..."), and not from your own perspective ("I changed the directory name...").
- Articles must not contain user comments. Restrict these to talk pages only.
- Criteria for speedy deletion
- Articles, images, categories etc. may be "speedily deleted" if they clearly fall within certain categories, which generally boil down to pages lacking content, or disruptive pages. Anything potentially controversial should be referred to administrators instead.
- Deletion policy
- Deleting articles requires an administrator and generally follows a consensus-forming process.
- Protection of DreamHost
- The administrators reserve the right to speedily delete an article or image that may cause harm (this is deliberately ambiguous) to DreamHost or DreamHost employees and customers.
- Banning policy
- Extremely disruptive users may be banned from the DreamHost Wiki. Please respect these bans, don't bait banned users and don't help them out. Bans can be appealed to administrators.
- Blocking policy
- Disruptive users can be blocked from editing for short or long amounts of time.
- Consensus can change
- All decisions can be reversed later as the wiki develops.
- Protection policy
- Pages can be protected against vandals or during fierce content disputes. Protected pages can be edited by administrators.
- Resolving disputes
- The first step to resolving any dispute is to talk to those who disagree with you. If that fails, it is best to request the help of one of the administrators.
- Semi-protection policy
- Pages undergoing frequent vandalism can be semi-protected to block edits by very new or unregistered users.
Legal and copyright
- Material which infringes other copyrights must not be added. The legalities of copyright and "fair use" are quite complex.
- Copyright violations
- DreamHost has no tolerance for copyright violations in this, and we actively strive to find and remove any that we find.
- Fair use criteria
- The cases in which you can declare an image "fair use" are quite narrow. You must specify the exact use of the image, and only use the image in that one context.
- Image use policy
- Generally avoid uploading nonfree images; fully describe images' sources and copyright details on their description pages, and try and make images as useful and reusable as possible.
- It is DreamHost Wiki policy to delete libelous revisions from the page history. If you believe you have been defamed, please contact one of the administrators.