- 1 Overview
- 2 Referring new customers
- 3 Rewards payment types
- 4 Rewards cash out
- 5 See also
The "DreamHost Rewards Program" provides two different types of rewards: one-time and recurring.
- One-time rewards – gives you a one-time reward credit for each new customer you refer to DreamHost (minus any discount you may have given if you created a custom promo code). Referred accounts for annual hosting plans qualify for up to a one-time $97 commission, and new month-to-month hosting plans qualify for up to a one-time $30 commission (Tier-1 Rewards). Tier-2 Rewards are $5.
- Recurring rewards – gives you reward credits each time one of your referred customers makes a payment – for the life of their account. Tier-1 Rewards are 10% of whatever the referred customer spends. Tier-2 Rewards are 5% of whatever the referred customer spends.
Referring new customers
There are three ways to refer new customers (and get the reward credits for it):
Giving out your account email address
Give prospective new customers the primary contact email address of your account shown in the ‘Tell Your Friends!’ section of the ‘Affiliates’ page, and then direct them to enter that email address in the appropriate field on the sign-up page.
You can also use your direct referral link to refer your friends directly to a specific URL at dreamhost.com. You can list your referral link on your blog, website, or provide the link to your referred customer directly. By using the link you provided to sign up, your referred customer will automatically list you as their referrer on their new account. Your referred customer won’t need to enter your information anywhere in order for you to receive a referral credit.
You can retrieve your referral link in your panel, on the (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Affiliates’) page. This link is formatted as http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?########, and ######## is your account number.
For example, you could provide them with this link (customized to your specific referral link URL):
And this will direct them right to "http://www.dreamhost.com/domains/" which is the domain registration landing page. Your referral information will be stored in their browser.
The ‘xxxxx’ at the end of the link should include your Account Number. New customers that sign up through that link will sign up with your account listed as the referrer.
Custom promo codes
Your referred customers can manually tell DreamHost support that you referred them when they open an account at https://signup.dreamhost.com.
They will be prompted to enter a promo code or the email address of the customer who referred them.
To create custom promotional codes:
- Go to the (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Affiliates’) page.
- Click on the ‘Create Your Own Promo Codes!’ tab to expand this portion of the page.
- Click the Create A New DreamHost Promo Code button.
- Create your own custom promo codes on this page.
- Click the Create This Promo Code Now! button to save your changes.
Custom promo codes only provide one-time rewards (regardless of the setting in the control panel). You can give discounts to your referred customers by selecting the amounts in the control panel when you create the custom promo codes.
Give these custom promo codes to prospective new customers (via your web page, email, and so on). Direct them to enter the promo code in the appropriate field on the sign-up page. The discount amount (if any) will be displayed on the (2nd) payment page during the sign-up process.
|Important:||Promo codes override all other methods of referring new customers.|
Rewards payment types
If you refer another customer to DreamHost, you can receive referral rewards. This article describes the various rewards options you can choose from when referring other customers to DreamHost.
Which new customers can I receive rewards from?
You can receive rewards from two types of referred customers:
- Primary (Tier-1) Referrals-
- Customers that have been directly referred to DreamHost by you, either by using your referral link or by listing you manually as a referrer when they opened the account.
- Secondary (Tier-2) Sub-Referrals-
- If your primary referral refers another customer, this is considered a Tier-2 referral.
How much can I receive for referring new customers?
You can choose between One-Time Rewards, or Recurring Rewards for any new customers that you refer to DreamHost. By default, your account is set up for Recurring Rewards.
- One-Time Rewards-
- For each Tier-1 referral, you can earn as much as $97.00.
- For each Tier-2 referral, you will earn $5.00.
- Recurring Rewards-
- For each Tier-1 referral, you will earn 10% of every payment the customer makes for life.
- For each Tier-2 referral, you will earn 5% of every payment the customer makes for life.
How can I switch between One-Time and Recurring Rewards?
By default, your account will be set up for Recurring Rewards. You can switch between One-Time and Recurring Rewards in your panel at (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Affiliates’).
|Note:||Switching the Rewards settings will only change your future rewards. Any rewards that have already been received will not be retroactively changed.|
- If you currently have Recurring Rewards set in your panel, this page will give you the option to switch to One-Time Rewards:
- If you currently have One-Time Rewards set in your panel, this page will give you the option to switch to Recurring Rewards:
Rewards cash out
As a DreamHost customer, you can refer new customers and receive rewards. Your full referral rewards can be applied to your account, or if you generate enough rewards, you can cash them out to a PayPal account (less a 5% service fee).
How can I receive my rewards?
You can choose to leave your rewards on your DreamHost account and use them toward hosting fees, or you can choose to cash them out. Rewards can be cashed out to your PayPal account once you have earned over $20 worth of referral rewards. There is a 5% service charge to process rewards to a PayPal account from the full amount of the reward balance issued that month.
By default, referral rewards will go towards upcoming invoice payments. To switch to cashing out your rewards:
- Visit the (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Affiliates’) page.
- Click the ‘Cash Out Your Rewards!’ tab.
- To cash out your rewards:
- Check the box next to ‘Yes, I want excess rewards balances to be cashed out via PayPal each month’.
- Enter your PayPal account email address in the specified box. Please ensure that you use the correct PayPal account email address – if you use an incorrect email address, this can cause issues with processing your rewards payments.
- Click the Update Cash Out Settings button to save your changes.
|Note:||Referral rewards are cashed out to PayPal on the 1st of each month.|
Rewards cash outs can only be made via PayPal as there is no other payment method available for cashing out rewards. If you are referring a very high amount of customers each month, you may qualify as a Platinum Affiliate. Please refer to the Affiliate Terms and Conditions for further information.
I have less than $20 in referral rewards. How can I use them?
By default, rewards are set in your panel to be used toward future hosting and service fees. If you have less than $20 of referral rewards, they will stay on your account until you have a charge that the rewards will be used towards.
Due to the large amount of customers who receive PayPal cash outs, these rewards may take a few days to show up in your PayPal account.