PhpGedView is a free PHP-based web application for working with genealogy data on the internet, founded and headed by John Finlay. The application is installed on a webserver along with a GEDCOM file. An external genealogy program can be used to create, edit and upload the GEDCOM, and it can also be edited directly in phpGedView by multiple users registered via the web interface. The application is offered as a one-click installation on DreamHost. http://www.phpgedview.net/
Manual installation of PunBB module
Some users have had a few troubleshooting issues with the one-click installation because the PunBB config file in
/modules/punbb is not defined correctly; however, please keep in mind that any modifications made to a one-click installation go beyond the scope of DreamHost's Technical Support Team.
To add the PunBB module:
- Copy the included "modules" directory to your PhpGedView installation (if you did not download it with PhpGedView)
- Rename the PunBB config file at modules/punbb/config.php to configold.php using a program such as FileZilla or your hosting control panel's file manager.
- To activate the module use the following URL, replacing the bold portions appropriately. The path may vary according to your installation:
- When activating the module, you will be asked to fill out your database connection parameters again and create a forum administrator
- After saving the configuration, you may be prompted to copy the configuration text into the PunBB configuration file config.php
- The menu item for "Message Forum" from PHPGedView should now work.
To link to the forums, use the URL:
Sample configuration file
<?php $db_type = 'mysql'; $db_host = 'localhost'; $db_name = 'arw_name'; $db_username = 'arw_user'; $db_password = 'password'; $db_prefix = 'punbb_'; $p_connect = false; $cookie_name = 'punbb_cookie'; $cookie_domain = ''; $cookie_path = '/'; $cookie_secure = 0; $cookie_seed = '433a0c44'; define('PUN', 1); ?>