Move a domain to PS
This article explains how to move a domain from shared server to a private server, either a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server. A domain can be moved automatically via the DreamHost panel or manually by copying the domain data from the shared hosting to the private server and then configuring the new user.
You can move a single domain from shared hosting to your private server automatically by switching the user that the domain runs under and having the panel automatically move the data.
There are two ways you can create a new user on the private server. The quickest method is by editing the domain on your panel and automatically creating a new web user:
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the domain under the ‘Web Hosting’ column.
- Scroll down to the ‘Users, Files, and Paths’ section.
- To the right of ‘Run this domain under the user:’, enter the following:
- Click the dropdown menu and select ‘Create a New User' (recommended).
- Enter the new user name and make sure that the correct private server is selected which is where this user will be created.
- Leave the checkbox ‘Move files to the new user?’ checked.
- Scroll down and click the Change Settings button to save your changes.
- A confirmation page opens indicating that the changes were successfully saved.
- Within 15 minutes the new user will be ready to use.
- Depending on how much data is moved, It can take several hours to complete the migration to the new user.
- To check the status of a single domain migration, check the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page. To the right of your domain you may see a clock icon and text stating data is being moved to the new user. Once complete, the icon and text will no longer show.
- There is no downtime during the move as the data is copied while the former server continues to serve the website.
How to manually move a domain by copying your files
You can manually migrate your web files from your shared server to your private server in two ways:
Manually migrating files via FTP
If you have less than 1GB of files to move, it may be easier to use FTP:
- Connect to your shared web server using instructions from the FTP article.
- Download all content from your website to your local computer.
- Create a new user on the private server. Visit the Enabling Shell Access article for details.
- Connect to your new server.
- The hostname for a VPS is psXXXX.dreamhostps.com.
- The hostname for a dedicated server is dsXXXX.dreamservers.com.
- Use the new username and password that was created for the user on the private server.
- Upload the website files for your domain to the private server into the domain’s directory.
Manually migrating files via rsync
- Create a new user on the private server. Visit the Enabling Shell Access article for details on how to create this user.
- Find the full path to your new private server and its new user.
- For example, if your private server is named ps9123456 and the new user you created is named user2, the path to the private server is:
- With this information, you are ready to run the following rsync command.
- Log into your shared server via SSH.
- Run the following command to copy your data from your shared user to your new private server user. Be sure to change '/example.com' to your actual domain’s web directory:
rsync -e ssh -av /home/shareduser/example.com firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/user2/
- After you run the command, you are prompted for the private server user's password.
- Click Enter to continue with the rsync.
Once complete, your shared domain’s folder and all of its contents will have been copied to your private server's user.
The final step is to adjust which username is assigned to the domain in your panel. View the Moving a single domain from shared hosting to a private server section above for instructions. There are two differences this time, however:
- There is no need to create a user, as it already exists. Just select the private server user from the dropdown menu which you’ve already created.
- Leave the checkbox ‘Move files to a new user?’ disabled.
When you move your domain from a shared server to a private server, the IP of your site changes. If your domain is using DreamHost’s Nameservers, then the domain’s IP is updated automatically.
If your domain is not using DreamHost’s nameservers, you’ll need to update your DNS records manually at the company where your nameservers are hosted.
You can see all of the DNS records that are set up for any site you host at DreamHost in your panel. Please note that after any DNS change, the records must propagate online.
Visit the following articles for more information: