Move a domain to PS
The following provides info on moving a domain to a PS server.
To move a domain from shared hosting to your new VPS:
- Create a user on the VPS.
- Change the user for that domain.
- Choose the option to move the files over to the new VPS.
- You can create a new VPS user by logging in to your panel here.
- Click Add A New User.
- On the next page, select which server to put it on.
- You'll select "ps#### (private server)" then continue to fill out your user's preferences and click Add User.
Note: You may have to wait a half hour or so for the username to be created. Once you're done there, proceed to the next steps.
- Change the user for the domain which can be done here.
- Under the Web Hosting column for your domain, click Edit.
- Othe next page, where it says "Run this domain under the user", select the new user that you just created.
- An option that says "Move files to the new user?" appears.
- Leave that selected and click Change settings.
This may take up to an hour to complete depending on the size of the files that are moving to the PS.
If you have any questions about this, please contact support who are always happy to help.
Manually via rsync
If you'd like to do this manually, you can do so by creating a new user on the PS itself and then copying all the data from one user to the other for the domain in question.
The command we recommend for this is the rsync command. Below are some helpful notes for using this command:
- rsync -e ssh -av
- Verbose and keep files as they are (permissions, group, and so on). Transport everything over SSH. Verbose meaning that it will write out everything it is doing on screen.
- rsync -e ssh -av source dest
- How the paths should be set up. source' being where the files are being rsync'ed from and destination is where rsync is copying the files over to.
Copy folder alone vs. Copy folder and its contents
There are some slight syntax changes depending on what you want to copy over as far as if you want to copy an entire folder and its contents or just the contents of a folder:
- /home/user copies everything in folder and the folder itself
- /home/user/ copies just the contents in user
The syntax should look something like this (assuming you are doing this from the shared server):
rsync -e ssh -av /home/<user>/ <user>@<psname.dreamhostps.com>:/home/<user>/
If you have user1 on shared and user2 on ps9999 then it should look like:
rsync -e ssh -av /home/user1/ firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/user2/
- Please also note that for security reasons, you will not be able to have an admin user associated with any domain you have set up.
- If you have any trouble with this or have any questions, please contact our support team!
This video walk through will show you how to move a domain to a PS server after it has been added to your account.
|Important:||This video is out of date. Use caution with the info presented here; we will update this video, so please check back later.|