DreamHost Wiki articles can include external links. Such pages should contain further research that is accurate and on-topic; but cannot be added to the article for reasons such as copyright or amount of detail.
Important points to remember
- Links should be kept to a minimum. A lack of external links, or a small number of external links is not a reason to add external links.
- Try to avoid linking to multiple pages from the same website; instead, try to find an appropriate linking page within the site.
- Attempts to use this wiki to drive traffic to other sites will be met with draconian measures.
- Where possible, add useful content to articles rather than linking to that content.
Links to be avoided
Except for a link to a page that is the subject of the article or an official page of the article subject, one should avoid:
- Any site that does not provide a unique resource.
- Any site that delivers or contains illegal or objectionable content.
- Any site that misleads the reader by use of factually inaccurate material.
- Links mainly intended to promote a website.
- Links to user comments.
- Links to page section anchors, except where pointing to a section of a technical specification.
- Links to sites that primarily exist to sell products or services.
- Links to sites with objectionable amounts of advertising.
- Links to sites that require payment or registration to view the relevant content.
- Sites that are inaccessible to a substantial number of users, such as sites that only work with a specific browser.
- Direct links to documents that require external applications (such as Flash or Java) to view the relevant content, unless the article is about such rich media. If you do link to such material make a note of what application is required.
- Links to search engine and aggregated results pages.
- Links to social networking sites (such as MySpace) or discussion forums.
- Sites that are only indirectly related to the article's subject: the link should be directly related to the subject of the article.
- Links to transient pages or sites that may be deleted or refactored in the near future.
Special rules for your user name space
User pages are subject to a subset of the external links policy of articles. Spamming is still unacceptable, but links to personal sites, forums, and blogs are fine. Such links should not be misleading, or lead to sites with excessive advertising or illegal content. Multiple links to pages within the same site are generally considered to be unnecessary and are likely to be viewed as spamming.