Converting mbx to Maildir format
This no longer works due to a system change as of April, 2008.
Unix, Eudora, and numerous other programs use mbx format for mail, which stores all mail in a single file. Squirrelmail uses Maildir format, which stores each separate mail in a separate file in a particular directory.
To convert between mbx and maildir on Dreamhost, you need to set up a user with diskspace (SFTP or shell account); copy the mbx file to the new user's account; and convert the file.
- Set up a full user with disk space (SFTP or shell user; pop mailbox only users (m123456) won't work
- Copy the mbx file to the new user's account (e.g., sftp/ftp or chmod file permissions & cp the file to the correct user account).
- Convert the file. You can do this with a script, such as mb2md (google mb2md-3.20.pl).
- google for the file; one current location is pkgsrc.se
- install on the user's account; be sure to make the file executable by the user or group
- run the file on the .mbx; e.g., mb2md-3.20.pl -s yourmailboxname.mbx
- It will create a maildir in /home/username/Maildir
- !!! Be careful !!! If you have a preexisting folder, it will overwrite it!
The Maildir structure looks like this:
$ tree -a /home/''username'' /home/''username'' : |-- Maildir : | |-- .''Foldername'' : | |-- .''Foldername2'' : | |-- .''Foldername3'' : | |-- courierimapkeywords : | |-- courierimapsubscribed : | |-- courierimapuiddb : | |-- courierpop3dsizelist : | |-- cur : | | |-- 1181751105.000000.mbox:2,S : | | |-- ''many other messages'' : | | `-- 1181751105.006159.mbox:2, : | |-- new : | `-- tmp : |-- chill-theplanet-060612 : `-- logs : `-- resources : |-- chiller.sa.analyzed.0 : |-- chiller.sa.itemized.0 : `-- sa.analysis.pl
(If there are thousands of messages, then it will be a verrry long tree.)