This article is a portal to various strategies and tools for backup of data on your DreamHost sites.
Dreamhost automatically backs up files in your domain. See Domain Restore for details.
Manual Backup Techniques
- One Click Account Backup. New as of July 2008. This feature lets you download all the data in your account, including all users, mailboxes and databases, in a series of .zip archive files. Note that it skips users and databases larger than 4 gigabytes. A python script is available that will automatically download the One Click Account Backup once it is ready.
- A newer Python script to backup your account via DreamHost API
- For MySQL database: Backup MySQL, Restore SQL backup and Migrate MySQL
- For website files: Backup Website Manually
- For MediaWiki sites: MediaWiki/Backing up a wiki
- For email Backup Email to Your Computer
Offsite Backup Techniques
- Rsync Backup
- Automatic Backup, a technique for having the system automatically generate and tarballs of the automated domain snapshots and recovering them to the your machine by FTP.
see Personal Backup, a service provided by DreamHost for backing up your personal computer files to your DreamHost account.
What is not backed up
(It would be good to describe what data is not backed up. See discussion page.)
There are many popular plugins to use for backing up WordPress. You can store your backups on DreamHost, Amazon S3, DropBox or even DreamObjects. Whenever possible, it's wise to limit the number of backups to a reasonable amount, as infinite backups can cause performance issues on your site.