Adding Domains & Sub-Domains
Can you add an extra domain to your hosting plan? Absolutely! Get the details here!
- 1 Do I have to create a new directory if I add a domain?
- 2 How do I add a domain or sub domain to my account?
- 3 How much is it for an extra domain?
- 4 Can I get more than one extra domain?
- 5 Does an extra domain have to point to the same place as the original domain?
- 6 Does an extra domain get its own storage space, login, email aliases, etc?
Do I have to create a new directory if I add a domain?
A new directory will automatically appear (in the name of your domain) in the parent directory within 15 minutes of adding the domain. You don't need to create a new one yourself!
How does it know to choose the new directory when someone types in www.myextradomain.com?
When somebody goes to www.yourextradomain.com, the configuration files for our web server tell it to go to the new directory. When you add a new domain and specify its directory, our web panel adds the necessary lines to the necessary config files to make it so! You don't have to set up any forwarding or anything like that --- it's all automatic!
How do I add a domain or sub domain to my account?
It's easy! Simply log into the Web Panel, and follow these simple instructions.
- Select the Domains section, and click on the Manage sub-section. Domains > Manage Domains
- Click on the Add New Domain / Sub-Domain link.
- Enter the name of the domain or subdomain you wish to add.
- Select the "FTP user" to own the files for this domain.
- Press the "Fully host this domain now" button to update your account.
- If you get an error message "Can't add domain: you don't have permission to add to mydomain.com": Sub-domains can only be created if its 2nd level domain is created first (mydomain.com) - even if you don't plan on hosting the 2nd level domain here at DreamHost.
How much is it for an extra domain?
Each of our hosting plans includes the hosting of an unlimited number of domains and subdomains. Click here for the details.
If you want to host an entirely new domain, you can register it through our account control panel at a rate of $9.95 per year or through any other domain registrar (registration costs may vary).
Can I get more than one extra domain?
You can add as many domains to your account as you want through the Account Control Panel! Remember that you are responsible for registering each domain name if you do not already own them.
Does an extra domain have to point to the same place as the original domain?
No, but it can if you'd like it to.
It can point to your existing site, or it can point to an entirely different directory. Simply specify what you'd like when you sign up for the extra domain in our Account Control Panel.
Does an extra domain get its own storage space, login, email aliases, etc?
Your extra domain will get its own e-mail aliases, so from the outside no one knows that it is just an additional domain on a main account.
Your extra domain can use the same server username as your main domain, or you can give it its own (each extra domain allows five more users). The same holds true with e-mailboxes (each extra domain allows twenty more mailboxes). Your storage space and bandwidth allotments are shared among all the domains on each of your plans. You can raise these allotments by upgrading your main hosting plan!
If you do want an additional domain with its own separate login and storage space, you can always sign up for an entirely new plan through the DreamHost signup area.